Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cheetah templating

Yesterday, Python's str.Template failed me, so it was finally time to learn Cheetah.

I wanted to use templates like
'my list has $len($myList) objects; the first is named $myList[0].name.upper()'
... but, of course, that sort of stuff is impossible with str.Template. I created a bunch of code to populate a dictionary to pass to str.Template, but that was clunky, and defeated the purpose of having a template that clearly describes its own contents. In Cheetah, it's perfectly straightforward.

from Cheetah.Template import Template
tmplt = 'my list has $len($myList) objects; the first is named $myList[0].name.upper()'
print Template(tmplt, [locals(),globals()])


The second argument is the list of dictionaries Cheetah will search for matches to variables in the Template. Using [locals(), globals()] is my way to cheat and say, "Look wherever the interpreter would".

No comments: